Pages

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Summer Blogging

For this activity I had to write a New Zealand recipe. The recipe I am doing is a steak and cheese pie. 

Ingredients
    700g rough puff pastry (recipe link at the bottom of the page)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 medium onion, finely chopped 
    2 cloves garlic, crushed 
    500g lean beef mince 
    30g plain flour 
    175ml beef stock (ready-made is fine)
    125ml beer (Sean used a lager beer) 
    2 Tbsp tomato puree or paste (Sean used paste)
    1 Tbsp vegemite or marmite, optional (Sean used marmite)
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar 
    ¼ tsp mixed herbs 
    ¼ tsp salt 
    ½ tsp pepper
    200g grated tasty cheese
    1 egg (for egg wash, mixed together with 2 tablespoons of water)
    2 Tbsp of black or white sesame seeds for the topping

Method
    Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is golden, add the beef mince and cook until well browned, stirring break up any large lumps.

    Stir in the flour and cook for approximately 30 seconds, gradually add the beef stock and beer and bring to the boil. Add the tomato puree and vegemite, balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and simmer gently 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.

    Assembly and Baking: Cut off a quarter of the pastry block and set it aside for the pie lids.
    On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the larger piece of pastry to a square approximately 4mm thick, cut into quarters.

    Line each individual pie tin, ensuring the pastry is firmly lined against the sides, leaving the pastry hanging over the edge of the tins.

    Roll out the smaller piece of pastry to a square approximately 3mm thick, cut the square into quarters, cover with plastic wrap and set aside. 

    Fill each pastry lined dish with the mince filling, almost up to the top then add a small handful of grated tasty cheese. Brush the edge of the pastry bases with water and place the pastry lid on top. Seal edges and trim excess pastry off with a sharp knife. Whisk the egg and water together and brush over the pastry top, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Rest for 1 - 2 hours (or longer) before baking. Place directly into a preheated oven set at 220°C and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown in colour. 

    Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from the tins and place on a cooling rack. Serve with your favourite tomato sauce and a crisp green salad or bowl of French fries.


I got this recipe from this website: http://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/seans-kiwi-mince-and-cheese-pie/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daniel! You and your brother, Thomas, think alike as he posted a recipe for Steak and Cheese Pie on his blog as well. It's great if they two of you are working together and sharing your learning over the summer months. I'm really pleased to see you, Thomas and Alex all participating in a Summer Learning Journey programme. You are keeping me very busy these days as you're posting so many wonderful blogs for me to read.

    Thank you for your awesome work. I just love reading your blogs and I love reading new recipes. I am going to try this steak and cheese pie recipe this week-end. Aronui, my son, loves pies and he will be so happy if I make one. Usually, I tend to make recipes that are more traditionally North American, like club sandwiches or macaroni and cheese, but I am going to branch out and try something new!

    Do you enjoy trying new foods? I had to learn to be a bit more experimental when I moved to Japan in 2008. I had never tried sashimi (raw fish) or even sushi before moving there but I had to learn to like it because that is what the local Japanese people ate. I'm really glad that I gave it a try, though, because I learned to love sushi and I eat it all the time now.

    Do you like sushi by any chance?

    Cheers,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete